Re: Windows Patches [Was: GNU Libtool 2.2.8 released (stable)]

From: Gary V. Vaughan
Subject: Re: Windows Patches [Was: GNU Libtool 2.2.8 released (stable)]
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2010 18:40:11 +0700

Hi Chris,

Forgive my jumping in again here...

On 8 Jun 2010, at 17:47, Christopher Hulbert wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 4:22 AM, Peter Rosin <address@hidden> wrote:
>>>
>>> Regarding these patches, I honestly have paid very little attention to
>>> Windows fixes for libtool because I can't test them, and don't use them:
>>> So I figured someone else was taking care of it.  Since that obviously
>>> isn't the case, and because I'd hate to see them bitrotting indefinitely
>>> in the list archives, we can either commit them on the trunk after 2.2.10,
>>> or else create a topic branch in git to collect them together for testing
>>> and merging back at an appropriate point.
>
> [[snip]]
> Anyways, I would like before this is merged into master to perhaps
> have more activity on this topic and maybe try to merge features
> provided by both Charles' and my own changes. Again, I think more
> activity and publicity for the topic branch (including maybe a couple
> releases from that branch) would be better than a near-term merge into
> master.

...to clarify my release plans.  Once the pr-msvc-support branch has had
master merged into it, and Peter and/or Chuck tell me they are happy with
the state of it on Windows, then I'll run through the complete testsuite
with the head of that branch on all the Unix platforms I have access to.
If there are significant regressions, then I'll create a 2.2.x maintenance
branch for future 2.2.x releases, and merge pr-msvc-support into master
for eventual inclusion in libtool-2.4.0.  Otherwise, I'll make the next
2.2.x release from master in a few months with pr-msvc-support already
merged.

I think it important to merge pr-msvc-support into master one way or
another so that it doesn't get ignored for any longer than it has already.

In any case, I'm hoping to make point releases every few months from now
on for as long as 2.2.x continues to accumulate fixes and ports.

Gary V. Vaughan (address@hidden)