Re: MSW DLLs support in libtool

From: Peter Rosin
Subject: Re: MSW DLLs support in libtool
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2016 00:38:15 +0100

On 2016-02-12 22:12, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
>  Several concrete questions in this thread asking for any benefits of the
> current libtool behaviour went unanswered, but let me try once again
> nevertheless: do you see any useful consequences of performing the check
> for PIC when targeting Windows in libtool? If you do, what are they
> exactly? And if you don't, why do you still think it should be done?

To this specific question, the things that I can think of is if two DLLs
(or the app itself) links with slightly different versions of the same
static library, that might cause strange bugs. Or if different DLLs
link to the same static malloc library and that that in turn produces
multiple heaps causing pain should pointers be passed across the DLL
boundaries.

If libtool should be in the business of protecting from such disasters
is another matter...

Cheers,
Peter