Re: New website

From: Heikki Johannes Junes
Subject: Re: New website
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 16:18:51 +0300 (EEST)

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003, Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:

> Han-Wen Nienhuys <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > I don't know. The last time I installed the windows version is almost
> > two years ago.
> >
> > Jan?
>
> Yes, Chris is right.  The LilyPond icon is an old concept.
>
> > > I would be happy
> > > to write such a document, but I'm not sure yet how it would integrate with
> > > the rest of the "Getting started" instructions.
> >
> > I dunno. I suppose that a special "windows" getting started has some
> > merit, but the most important thing is that it is short.
>
> I think the most important thing is that it's inviting to be read, and
> in the language of the windows user.  We talked briefly about this,
> but we didn't see how to do this/make it worth the effort.

Point here and click here -- if it does not work, call to our support.
I tried once to run setup.exe -- it did not work and gave up.

> > To combat the learning curve, I think that it would be better to write
> > a simple program
>
> I agree.  However, this thing may be not too easy to implement (I have
> no idea), and having a good introduction is better than waiting for a
> drag-and-drop app to happen?

In web, it would not be very hard to have such script. It would be a "try
to write LilyPond to this box and press submit". As a result a pdf would be
opened in new window. One would just need to have one linux server running
such script.

  Heikki Junes