Re: New website

From: Chris Jackson
Subject: Re: New website
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 19:02:39 +0100

Jan Nieuwenhuizen <address@hidden> wrote:
> Han-Wen Nienhuys <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Correct, and like Jan said: then you're doing emacs all over again.
>> But an app that accepts drag and drop, I'm sure that it is easy for
>> someone familiar with windows.
>
> Hmm.  What if that app is emacs?  You drop a .ly file onto emacs icon,

So the user edits their .ly code in MS Notepad, and compiles and views it by
dragging it into the world's most powerful text editor?? :)

I've just discovered that Notepad can't even do drag and drop text editing
*boggle*! I suppose there's always WordPad (but that saves as RTF by
default), and squillions of free editors.

> for you?  Or is a separate drag-and-drop app really that easy to make
> in Cygwin, python maybe?

Don't know - but it would be neater if it was a Windows native app rather
than one using Cygwin X, and the files were viewed by Windows
native ghostview or the like.

Certainly a drag and drop thing would help to replace the command-line work
needed for compiling and viewing.  But I think that a lot of the confusion
comes from needing one program to edit the text in, another program to
compile the .ly, and a *third* program to view the output.  People expect to
just click an icon, and live inside one app that does everything they want.

--
chris