Re: review new info on file layout

From: Erik Sandberg
Subject: Re: review new info on file layout
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 10:24:34 +0100

On Wednesday 01 February 2006 21.13, Graham Percival wrote:
> On 31-Jan-06, at 12:55 AM, Erik Sandberg wrote:
> > - The following is a bit misleading:
> >       \context Staff = singer <<
> >         \context Voice = vocal { \melody }
> >         \lyricsto vocal \new Lyrics { \text }
> >
> > The lyrics context is not part of the Staff context,
>
> Really?  That's a pity; it would help to keep things simple.  Anyway,
> thanks!  I didn't know that.

> > (I think there's a minor pedagogical point in saying \new Lyrics before
> > \lyricsto, since the \new Lyrics really isn't a relevant argument of
> > the
> > music function, and because all other contexts start with context
> > names)
> >
> > You could of course use \addlyrics instead.
>
> I still haven't used lyrics -- what do you recommend?  We should
> probably use the same thing here as we do in the Example templates...
> what should those ones be?

Well, \addlyrics only works in the most simple cases, so there's a point in
presenting \lyricsto instead.

BTW, the following template:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.7/Documentation/user/lilypond/Single-staff.html#Single-staff
does a \context Voice=one{} without explicitly creating the surrounding staff.
I'd recommend to add a \new Staff, like:
        <<
           \new Staff \context Voice = one {
              \autoBeamOff
              \melody
           }
           \lyricsto "one" \new Lyrics \text

Anyway that's what I usually do. It "feels" unsafe to use \context Voice alone
to create a new staff, it "feels" like that context could end up in an
already existing staff if more parts are added to the score in a similar way.
Consider the following, for example:
        <<
           \context Voice = one {
              \autoBeamOff
              \melody
           }
           \context Voice = two {
              \accomp
           }
           \lyricsto "one" \new Lyrics \text

I think lily does create separate staves for the voices in this case, but it's
not at all clear, and adding \new Staff statements explicitly makes the
semantics clearer.

--
Erik