Re: review new info on file layout

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: review new info on file layout
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 16:49:53 +0100

Quoting Graham Percival <address@hidden>:

On 4-Feb-06, at 1:59 AM, Mats Bengtsson wrote:

Quoting Erik Sandberg <address@hidden>:
Then I'd propose this instead:
\new Lyrics { \lyricsto mytune { ... } }
because it feels relevant to me to consequently create contexts as top-level
as possible. (hm.. the outer {} in my example are still confusing though,
since lyricsto never can be part of anything sequential)

I agree with Erik -- now the highest view of the music expression is
{
  \new Staff { vocal }
  \new Lyrics \lyricsto vocalstaff { \lyrics }
  \new PianoStaff
}

correct?  And I should change the vocal templates to match this?

Fine with me!

I think the shorthand without score is highly relevant:
- Lots of music is just short snippets. See e.g. regression tests, LSR and bug archive.

That's only true for the small group of people like you and me who
spend more time answering mailing list questions and handling bug
reports than on typesetting any real music. It's clearly a suboptimization
to adapt the syntax too much to such unnormal use of the program.

Yes, but it also applies to the manual. We already explain that examples from the manual need {} or even \relative c' { } to compile.

Exactly! One of the most common newbie complaints about the manual is that the examples don't show all the details you need in a real score.

   /Mats