Re: review new info on file layout

From: Erik Sandberg
Subject: Re: review new info on file layout
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2006 12:46:17 +0100

On Tuesday 07 February 2006 05.47, Graham Percival wrote:
> On 4-Feb-06, at 1:59 AM, Mats Bengtsson wrote:
> > Quoting Erik Sandberg <address@hidden>:
>
> I agree with Erik -- now the highest view of the music expression is
> {
>    \new Staff { vocal }
>    \new Lyrics \lyricsto vocalstaff { \lyrics }
>    \new PianoStaff
> }

And a different motivation: \lyricsto changes the lexical mode, and almost all
other lexical mode switching commands (\notemode, \lyricmode, etc.) need to
have the mode-switched parameter within {} or <<>>. (lyricsto is an exception
to this rule, but it might be good to keep that convention.)
    \new Lyrics \lyricsto vocalstaff { \lyrics }

> > The intuitive idea behind my proposal is that the second argument
> > of the \lyricsto construct is the Lyrics context, whereas with your
> > proposal it's only the lyrics expression. Of course, there might be
> > situations where you have several \lyricsto within the same Lyrics
> > context, so then your proposal makes more sense. However, in such
> > situations, I would normally use something like:
> > \lyricsto partI \context Lyrics = lyr {...}
> > \lyricsto partII \context Lyrics = lyr {...}
> > \lyricsto partIII \context Lyrics = lyr {...}
>
> Recall that this is an example for newbies (unless you two have moved
> on to talking about general lily syntax by now :).  If somebody wants
> to do complicated stuff, they can read chapter 7 of the manual, instead
> of just chapters 3 and 4.  :)

but it's IMHO good if the manual uses consistent conventions.

--
Erik