Re: Updates and corrections patches

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: Updates and corrections patches
Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2007 15:01:10 +0200

Le dimanche 02 septembre 2007 à 11:56 +0300, Till Rettig a écrit :
> Hi John,
>
> I finished the compilation yesterday succesfully -- it was obviously
> about some old files I hadn't cleaned up -- the "make web-clean"
> command helped me a lot! Thank you for your help.
> So I dare now sending the new changes as git patches and hope my
> branch is clean.

Thanks, but I've already applied these patches :o)

> With the generated docs I did some observations: Some strings are
> obviously not translated, for instance subheading in
> introduction.itely User manual.

Of course, the POs haven't been updated.  As exaplained in TRANSLATION,
all translators who don't have Git push access should not run po-update
without having pulled very recently and immediately sending me a patch
for Documentation/po, otherwise they may encounter conflicts next time
they pull if I do a concurrent po-update.

The general problem is that docs in English frequently change, so
translations are always a little outdated.  Freezing English docs a few
days before an important release would allow translators to be in sync
for the release; OTOH blocking docs improvements or fixes is absurd, so
I prefer to rely on frequent releases, translators reactiveness and
clean patches ;-) that can be quickly applied to master.

> Then the rprogram links won't get properly resolved in either
> documentation form. In pdf they are not translated at all (see last
> subsection in the introduction), and in html they are partly
> translated as the example below might show (guess it will show also in
> text email).

> Syntax-Änderungen zwischen den Programmversionen werden von einem
> speziellen Programm, convert-ly, vorgenommen (siehe files with
> convert-ly Dateien mit convert-ly aktualisieren).
>
> Syntax-Änderungen
> zwischen den Programmversionen werden von einem speziellen
> Programm, @file{convert-ly}, vorgenommen (siehe @rprogram{Updating
> files with convert-ly}).

I had not completely updated Python scripts that translate section
titles to handle @rprogram.  I'm trying to fix this, 'make web' is
running to check...

> Another concern are the macros: while @q, @qq, @code seem to work,
> @file is still showing the english quotes. How is the correct way to
> change that ( I guess in the macros.itely file)?

@file and @samp are not macros, they are built-in Texinfo functions.
'make web' Texinfo should handle accents generated by @-commands
according to @documentlanguage.  This makes me think there is still a
shitload of i18n feature requests to be sent to Texinfo developers, but
this is more easy to say than to do: as they don't have oodles of time,
it's important to send one small and clear request at once, as it's has
been done for non-English quotes.

Cheers,
John