Re: Only GCC <= 4.1.2 is suitable for current 2.11 on x86 32 bits

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: Only GCC <= 4.1.2 is suitable for current 2.11 on x86 32 bits
Date: Sun, 25 May 2008 13:43:11 +0200

On 2008/05/24, Valentin Villenave wrote:
> 2008/5/24 Francisco Vila <address@hidden>:
> > My Gcc version is  4.2.3 (standard in Ubuntu 8.04) and I compile well,
> > send me a test file or whatever if you want to know if my output is
> > correct.

I needn't send you any test file, input files in Documentation are
enough (see my reply to Joe on other GCC thread).

> Same here; I'm using exclusively a GCC-4.2.3 home-made LilyPond
> (merging master and dev/rune), so far it works fine (though slower
> than the vanilla Lily, but this might be because of Rune's code :-)

Do you compile with optimisations too (this is the default, and it's
most easily overriden with configure command line options)?

> I'm running the latest Mandriva with glibc2.8.1 (and I was about to
> switch to GCC 4.3.1, when your report discouraged me from doing so)

Err, if your architecture is not x86 32 bits, you should not be
discouraged trying GCC 4.3.0 (the problem might be
architecture-specific), and I even didn't test 4.3.1, I have only tested
with 4.3.0 (included in Fedora 9), GCC 4.2.3 and 4.2.4 (self-compiled
using GCC 4.3.0) and GCC 4.1.2 (self-compiled using GCC 4.2.4).

FWIW I installed each self-compiled GCC with all libraries coming along
in $HOME/gcc-4.y.z, and use a particular self-compiled GCC version with
all libraries and headers coming with it (including libstdc++) by doing
from LilyPond top source dir

source ~/gcc.profile 4.y.z
./autogen.sh

where ~/gcc.profile contains

CCdir=/home/lilydev/gcc-$1
export CC=$CCdir/bin/gcc
export CXX=$CCdir/bin/g++
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$CCdir/lib
export LDFLAGS=-L$CCdir/lib
export CXXCPP=$CCdir/bin/cpp
export CPP=$CCdir/bin/cpp
export CPPFLAGS=-I$CCdir/include
export CFLAGS=-I$CCdir/include
export CXXFLAGS=-I$CCdir/include

I'd recommend to keep your current GCC version and install GCC 4.3.1 in
a nonstandard directory, so you can easily switch to an older version in
case you encounter the same problems as I do.

Cheers,
John