Re: Please fix: japanese doc compilation

From: Sawada , Yoshiki
Subject: Re: Please fix: japanese doc compilation
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 02:56:10 +0000 (UTC)

Hello Reinhold,

Reinhold Kainhofer <reinhold <at> kainhofer.com> wrote:

> These translations are done directly in texi2html. I'm attaching the current
> i18n/ja file from the texi2html distribution. You might want to update the
> translation directly in that file and send it to Patrice Dumas (the main
> developer or texi2html) or even better to the texi2html mailing list:
> texi2html-bug <at> nongnu.org

This advice really helped me.
I found an article about Texinfo (but it is a Japanese page). It says:

==== start of English translation of the page ====
texi2html uses utf-8 for HTML documents but it uses us-ascii for navigation
bars.
Therefore, navigation bars look strange. To solve this, we need to disable
the Unicode support of texi2html as following steps:

*Step 1: Make an init file as following:
---- start of "ja-init.pl" ----
# -*- mode: perl -*-

$USE_UNICODE = 0;
# $ENCODING = "euc-jp";

1;
---- end of "ja-init.pl" ----

*Step 2: Add a following line to texinfo documents:
@documentencoding utf-8

*Step 3: Run texi2html as following:
$ texi2html --init-file=ja-init.pl lilypond-learning.texi
==== end of English translation of the page ====

This solution uses English messages catalog instead of Japanese messages catalog
(like as "Top" instead of "冒頭"). But, I do not know how to pass the option
"-init-file=ja-init.pl" to texi2html via "make web". So, I use "i18n/ja"
(which Reinhold gave me :)) to make messages catalog revert as following:
'Top' => 'Top',

If I need to translate a message in the catalog, I can use .po file.
I know this solution is not a fundamental solution, but this works well now.

I guess you found my translation page (http://irjb.s346.xrea.com/lilypond/).

> BTW, I just noticed that in addition to the texinfo files for the
> documentation and the .po file for the extracted strings, we have one more
> spot where we need a Japanese translation: the [Back to Documentation index]
> link in the left upper corner of the docs (above the TOC) is translated in
> our
> texi2html configuration script (lilypond-texi2html.init).

I have translated [Back to Documentation index] in "lilypond-texi2html.init".
But I did not send the patch for that. I am preparing for Japanese documents
with John. I hope I can show them soon.

> Sure, after all, we are all working together on making the best application
> for music scores.

01234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789
It is true. There are many LilyPond users in Japan and they need information
about LilyPond in Japanese. I want them to join to LilyPond community without
hesitating. They are solving their problems individually. For example, there are
many Japanese tutorials in Web, and some of them show the way to use Japanese
characters (multi-byte characters) within LilyPond scores. They may be useful
for non-Japanese speakers.

Thanks,
Yoshiki