Re: Lily on OSX Leopard, problems running own build

From: Carl D. Sorensen
Subject: Re: Lily on OSX Leopard, problems running own build
Date: Fri, 8 May 2009 08:44:48 -0600

On 5/6/09 2:43 PM, "Dewdman42" <address@hidden> wrote:

> What is the current status of Lilypond running on OSX leopard (intel)?
>
> I have downloaded the latest binaries of lilypond, they appear to be PPC
> binaries that will run only in command line mode on the Rosetta emulator.

Yes, that is correct.

> followed the helpful page from Nicolas Sceaux to try to build it myself from
> the latest code:
>

> http://nicolas.sceaux.free.fr/index.php/2008/11/30/26-building-lilypond-from-g
> it-sources-on-mac-os-105-intel
> http://nicolas.sceaux.free.fr/index.php/2008/11/30/26-building-lilypond-from-g
> it-sources-on-mac-os-105-intel
>
> I was able to follow those instructions and built it fine, but when I
> execute lilypond I get the following error:
>
> ================================
> GNU LilyPond 2.13.1
> ERROR: In procedure primitive-load-path:
> ERROR: Unable to find file "lily.scm" in load path
> ================================

How are you trying to execute lilypond?

> So questions are, first, does anyone know what I need to do in my runtime
> env to get lilypond to execute?  Secondly, looks to me like no gui was
> built, just command line anyway, so is the only advantage to building my own
> the fact that it will run native?

Yes, and it's significantly faster.

The built-in GUIs for LilyPond are not *nearly* as good as the other
available editors; I don't think you really want to use it.  At its core,
LilyPond is a text-based program, and you'll want to use it that way.

> Thirdly, what is the plan from the
> Lilypond team for including current OSX platform as target platform to build
> binaries on so that I don't have to worry about building it myself?

I don't think there's currently anybody with the expertise/ability to make
this work.  Han-Wen tried some, but it still didn't work, the last I knew.
Something about Xcode being broken on update to 10.5.

Have you checked out Ivo Boumann's pages?  He has great instructions for
using LilyPond as a clickable app with TeXShop and Smultron, or a drag and
drop with Terminal.

HTH,

Carl