Re: Lily on OSX Leopard, problems running own build

From: Neil Tiffin
Subject: Re: Lily on OSX Leopard, problems running own build
Date: Fri, 8 May 2009 12:31:00 -0500

On May 8, 2009, at 10:37 AM, Graham Percival wrote:

On Fri, May 08, 2009 at 09:47:06AM -0500, Neil Tiffin wrote:
1. Well I have offered, with the caveat that it is not trivial to
understand the non-standard build system. No one was willing to walk me
through how it works or point me to some documentation explains the
build system.

Docs on the build system, as well as anybody understands it: see
the Contributor's Guide.

Docs on the GUB build system: there's a README floating around,
but that's it.

What's the difference: build vs. GUB build? Which leads me to agree with your later statement that the GUI should be abandoned.

Now, what do we do about this situation?  If we all say "well, I
don't know how to fix it, and I'm not going to bother learning",
then nothing gets done.

Its not the "bother learning" part, its the amount of time to learn a bespoke build system lacking clear docs coupled with a rather unique GUI architecture that does also not appear to be clearly documented. Most people do not go around pounding their head with a hammer just for the fun of it.

Of course, I could just be ignorant on this issue.

2. I have an intel native GUI version downloaded from the internet that
works dated March 2008 version 2.12.  The fixes apparently were never
committed to the base and I do not remember where they came from. But
someone knows what needs to be done.

As long as we all say "someone knows what needs to be done",
nothing happens.  Could you track down the patches?

We've had something like 2.5 years of people saying "I don't know
how to fix this, [and I'm not going to bother learning]".
Surprise surpise, nothing got fixed!

My intent was not to complain, but to prompt the people that did the work to speak up again. I seriously thought from reading emails that this was fixed and would make it into a future build. Of course, now I can not find the emails.