Re: DOCS: revising LM "Score and Parts"

From: Carl D. Sorensen
Subject: Re: DOCS: revising LM "Score and Parts"
Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 07:41:58 -0600

On 5/22/09 7:36 AM, "Jonathan Kulp" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Carl D. Sorensen wrote:

>>> A default Cygwin installation provides all you need for this IIRC < this
>>> is a lot anyway, but this is doable with a few clicks :-)
>>
>> Can't the Windows user just download GNU Make for Windows?
>>
>> <http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/make.htm>
>>
>> I see no need to get a full Cygwin package just for make.
>>

> But aren't the commands run from the Makefile dependent on something
> like Cygwin?  I honestly don't know, I'm just wondering.

Windows has a built in command shell, and at least from my cursory overview
GNU Make knows how to work with it.

I think that all of the lilypond specific stuff is already installed with
lilypond.

The biggest potential problem I see is that Windows uses "delete" where
linux uses "rm".  But this is easily handled in the makefile, I think.

>> If you'd like, I can ask on user for a guinea pig.
>>
>> Carl
>>

> This is a good idea, Carl.  I wouldn't mind trying it myself. My son's
> laptop has XP on one partition but I don't know if I'll be able to get
> on there and try this out.  I'd be a good one to try it, though, because
> I'm totally clueless on Windows, and if I can get it working then
> anybody could. :)

I think you'd be perfect, Jon, because
a) You are interested
b) You know the makefile