Re: website issues and comment-discussion

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: website issues and comment-discussion
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 08:38:07 +0000

2010/1/3 John Mandereau <address@hidden>:
> Le dimanche 03 janvier 2010 à 10:03 +0000, Graham Percival a écrit :
>> Because I'm a bad person and should be taken to task over it?  I
>> always mean to go back and fix it,
>
> I didn't intend to do anything else with the comment I added.  There are
> many other issues with the website I'm going to report accompanied with
> a patch, but for this one I was stuck on making any good suggestion, so
> I dumped a comment.  Remember that you told me the website was ready
> enough for translations,

That's not quite what I said.  I said that nobody was working on it,
so we might as well begin translating it, partly in the hopes that the
translators would fix obvious problems.

> so I just
> dumped this comment, and will do it again whenever such a sitation
> arises again and there is no dedicated person to work on the website.

Ok then, every time you dump a comment into the texinfo, I'll take the
time to remove it and discuss it over email or dump it in the tracker.

>>  but I keep on getting dragged into
>> working on other things.
>
> You work on so many things that you can't make sure to fix and polish
> all of them yourself, and I still see nothing wrong that you put some
> comments in the source rather than writing it on a private list or
> sending an email in a time frame when nobody else is available for
> tackling it.

Maybe I should stop fussing the GUB and clean up those issues.  It's
certainly true that I set a bad example by leaving the website in the
state I did.

I'll test Patrick's patch for the uninstallation thing, but then start
tidying up some old things rather than working on newer release stuff.

>> > If we keep this node, then we should add some more text, maybe taking
>> > inspiration from the introduction of the essay on the old website.
>>
>> I'm not opposed to adding more text to that node.
>
> You deleted my comment, but I haven't found where is this issue
> registered now; this is not very productive.

Umm, in this very thread?
  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2010-01/msg00082.html
Scroll to the bottom, item 2) ?

I expected that both those items are small enough that we could have a
brief discussion on -devel and then move on with life.  If not, I
could add them to the tracker.