website issues and comment-discussion

From: Graham Percival
Subject: website issues and comment-discussion
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2010 05:23:01 +0000

Guys,

Please don't report bugs or try to discuss problems in the bloody
comments of a texinfo file.  I don't care if you do this in the source
code (although I think it's a stupid way to communicate), but don't
mess up my precious documentation.  We cleaned up a lot of this in
GDP, and we'll be doing more of it during GDP2, but please don't add
more of this stuff.

I've added a dedicated issue tag for the website:
    http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/list?q=label:website
If you have anything else, either discuss it in this thread, or add it
to the tracker.

The "definitive" website is currently on:
   http://lilypond.org/~graham/website/index.html
As far as I know, I can set up the cronjob as soon as I have 5 minutes
to refresh my memory of this; the scripts
  ~graham/lilypond/trusted-scripts/update-git.sh
  ~graham/lilypond/trusted-scripts/make-website.sh
are good to go.  Note that this doesn't have the translations yet.

Issues that I think we can resolve right away:
1)  Do we want to have images in
   http://lilypond.org/~graham/website/publications.html
?  I decided not to add any, since we only had one image on the old
website and it looked a bit silly by itself.  I have that image (the
cover of a linux journal), so we could add it if there's strong
feelings that we should.  I'd rather avoid images on this page,
though.

2)  Do we want a node for Background in the introduction?
  http://lilypond.org/~graham/website/background.html

The first version of the new website didn't have such a node; I just
mentioned it in the (main) page.  But some people complained that the
background essay should be more prominent; it should have a place in
the "journey" (the "where now?" boxes at the bottom of the pages), so
I added it as a node.