Re: Contributor's Guide on Website

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Contributor's Guide on Website
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2010 19:18:41 -0700

On 1/7/10 6:56 PM, "Patrick McCarty" <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 2010-01-07, Carl Sorensen wrote:
>>
>> A perfect page for me would have all of the manuals easily available in
>> split HTML format once I get to that page.
>
> +1
>
> If you don't mind, I want to address a more general issue that's been
> bothering me lately.
>
> IMO, the most distressing navigational problem about the new website
> is that there are *too* many web pages.
>
> Back when we starting working on the constructing the website (in the
> summer), this didn't bother me.  But now, I would much prefer a
> webpage that looks like this (content-wise) to access all of the
> documentation:
>
>   http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.12/Documentation/
>
> Yes, this will mean redoing the texinfo, but I honestly think that in
> its current state, the website is too difficult to navigate
> efficiently, especially for the documentation.

The current page  Manuals

<http://kainhofer.com/~lilypond/Documentation/web/manuals.html#manuals>

looks pretty much like the page you cite.  It has

Learning
Glossary
Notation
Internals
Usage
Snippets
Changes
Extending  (I think the name should change from Extend to Extending)
License
Web
Translated
Development

It's basically the same set of links as in the 2.12 documentation.  But it
doesn't have all of the choices for each manual (one big page, pdf).
Therefore, when you click on any manual, you get to a page that gives you
all the choices, and then you click on the split HTML.

The All link from the manuals page gets you to a page (Documentation quick
links) that you can use to get to any of the split HTML pages.  If that page
had the Contributor's Guide on it it would be perfect for my use, and I'd
bookmark that as my Local Documentation link.

Thanks,

Carl