Re: Contributor's Guide on Website

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: Contributor's Guide on Website
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2010 11:42:21 +0100

Am Freitag, 8. Januar 2010 03:18:41 schrieb Carl Sorensen:
> It's basically the same set of links as in the 2.12 documentation.  But it
> doesn't have all of the choices for each manual (one big page, pdf).
> Therefore, when you click on any manual, you get to a page that gives you
> all the choices, and then you click on the split HTML.

Yes, and that is highly annoying to me. This requires 1 more click and at
least 5 seconds more to go to the manual you want to see.

> The All link from the manuals page gets you to a page (Documentation quick
> links) that you can use to get to any of the split HTML pages.  If that
>  page had the Contributor's Guide on it it would be perfect for my use, and
>  I'd bookmark that as my Local Documentation link.

Yes!
Can't we make that the default documentation page? I don't think that
newcomers will want the choice between all the "exotic" documentation formats.
It's better to show them something quickly.

And the first line of that page already tells the user that there are other
formats, too, and where to find them.

Cheers,
Reinhold

 * http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/, DVR: 0005886