Re: CG chapter 2, first draft

From: Mark Polesky
Subject: Re: CG chapter 2, first draft
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 08:32:28 -0800 (PST)

Graham Percival wrote:
> Looks mostly good.
>
> - you've reverted some of the ``foo'' -> @qq{foo} changes
> in essay.  Why?

Freaky.  I didn't touch essay.  How did that happen?  I see
Trevor has some theories...  Oh, I see now that Francisco
was doing some work there.  I must not have rebased at the
right time or something.

> - I'm not positive, but I believe that we put punctuation
> outside @q{} brackets.

Yes.   None of this was intentional.

> If you want to change this policy, we can discuss it, but
> please don't just go changing things inside the hu/
> translation.

Huh?  The only things I changed in hu/ were two
@rcontrib{Starting with git} links.  The only reason I did
that was because I capitalized Git in the @node and I
thought it was needed in order to compile successfully.

> - elsewhere in the docs, we use "foo -- bar", not
> "foo---bar".  I don't pretend to be authoritative about
> the difference, though.

I've read that the typographical ideal is:

  word, hair-space, em-dash, hair-space, word

The hair-spaces allow lines to break on either side of the
em-dash.

> - the FIXME in Making patches can be removed, I think.

Yes I figured it out.  "ensure that your local commits are
as current as possible" should read "ensure that your
patches are as current as possible".

> - Advanced git concepts: I suggest simply pointing at the
> "other git documentation" node, instead of discussing the
> Git Community Book here.

Done.

> If you want to push this patch and change other items
> later, I'm happy with that -- as long as you remove the
> changes to hu/ and essay/ from this patch.  They're a
> separate matter, and shouldn't be rolled into such a big
> change.

You mean hu/ and web/ I presume?  Won't that break
compilation?

- Mark