Re: [Patch] Indentation in parser.yy

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [Patch] Indentation in parser.yy
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 08:39:26 +0200

Valentin Villenave <address@hidden> writes:

> On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 6:11 PM, Graham Percival
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 4:27 PM, Trevor Daniels <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> You know, after rebuffs like this it's hardly
>>> surprising you don't get many people offering to
>>> help you.  Seeing this, anyone thinking of offering
>>> will likely think again.
>>
>> Valentin is a personal friend, and the grumpy/fluffy interplay
>> has been a constant between us.  I take much more liberties with
>> him than I would anybody else.  If I've taken too much liberty here, I
>> apologize.  (I'll follow up with him off-list)
>
> Wow, I'm not sure what's the most touching here: Trevor stepping up
> very kindly (as always) or Graham referring to me as a "friend"...
> Either way, I feel compelled to say something now :)
>
> Whilst I do understand that such tactless rebuttals might look
> impressive and unappealing to newcomers, I hope everyone who
> subscribes to lily-devel understands that most people here actually
> have known each other for years, and that there may be a subtext
> implied in every such conversation.

Doesn't help.  Social standards are not something a witness can switch
off at will rationally.

My siblings and I used to entertain a communication style full with
insults and deprecatory remarks, sort of like a playful reminiscence of
times when we were still kids.  And of course, the more of us were
present at some occasion, the more fun we had.

The first few "semi-official" family meetings involving future in-laws
were a bit disastrous since the prospective partners were expecting us
to physically go at each others' throats any moment and could not
understand what went wrong (hardly surprising since nothing went wrong,
and rather we were all having a collective ball).

In the end, we had to adapt our form of communication to more standard
ones since of course the circles we were meeting in did not share a
significant part of our history, and we were putting even those on edge
who had by then been educated what to expect.  We were poisoning the
atmosphere for _them_ because of the playful animosities exchanged
between _us_.

This mailing list is a more open social circle than a wedding party.

Sorry to be a spoilsport.