Re: [Patch] Indentation in parser.yy

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: [Patch] Indentation in parser.yy
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 14:54:41 +0100

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 1:06 PM, James <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 15/09/2010 12:40, Graham Percival wrote:
>>
>> Good point.  Next time I'll do a grumpy&fluffy reply -- first I'll
>> give a Graham-style response to shock&awe, then (in the same
>> email) I'll give a kind and generous response.
>
> and that would be a shame.
> I guess we all donate our time for different reasons, but praise and polite
> conversation is not one I do it for.

Hey, moron!  All you have to do is stop reading when I tell you to.
There's a reason that the "grumpy" part comes first.  Mao, do you
think I'm new to this kind of stuff?

James, Valentin: stop reading.  Fluffy bunnies ahead.

I agree that it would be a shame for the community to lose my distinct
style -- I do it deliberately, after all!  When properly understood,
they add humour and a "personal touch" to what could otherwise be a
rather boring job (or volunteer effort).  The French contributors who
met my stuttering self in Bordeaux can attest that I'm not *at all*
scary in person.  :)

OTOH, when read out of context ("context" here meaning the full
multi-year history between me and the people I'm aiming that email
at), some of my emails really do paint a bad picture of our
development community in general, and me in particular.

I think that the "two-pronged" (or "Jekyll and Hyde") approach is the
best way to meet both goals.  People who appreciate the nasty can get
their jollies that way, but the very same email will present a fair
and balanced view of the situation.

Wishing you kittens and love,