Re: [Patch] Fix #903: Add shortcuts for note names languages. (issue2606

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: [Patch] Fix #903: Add shortcuts for note names languages. (issue2606042)
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 11:00:03 +0200

On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 4:53 AM,  <address@hidden> wrote:
> I like this idea as a way to get the functionality you want in the short
> term.  But I don't like it for the long term.  I think the long-term
> syntax needs to be
>
> \language "foobar"
>
> so that we don't have a separate keyword for each language.  As you
> point out, that will require a parser change.

(sigh)

OK. Was worth a try though.

In other words, the most likely outcome is that *nothing* will happen
for another year.

> In the short term, why not take care of things with your french students
> by having this include file be part of the LilyPond distribution, and
> creating a special lilypond command, e.g. LilyPond, that expands to
>
> lilypond -dinclude-settings="lang-init.ly" %@
>
> so that they will have the \langFoo shortcut you want to have available?

I think you can see why this is hardly a solution. I might as well
fork LilyPond and distribute my version instead. (Which every day that
passes gives me more reasons to, but that's another story.)

Cheers,
Valentin.