Re: [Patch] Fix #903: Add shortcuts for note names languages. (issue2606

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: [Patch] Fix #903: Add shortcuts for note names languages. (issue2606042)
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 10:13:14 +0100

On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 10:00 AM, Valentin Villenave
<address@hidden> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 4:53 AM,  <address@hidden> wrote:
>> I like this idea as a way to get the functionality you want in the short
>> term.  But I don't like it for the long term.  I think the long-term
>> syntax needs to be
>>
>> \language "foobar"

This seems like a good name.

>> so that we don't have a separate keyword for each language.  As you
>> point out, that will require a parser change.
>
> In other words, the most likely outcome is that *nothing* will happen
> for another year.

The sooner we get patches for the Critical issues (and review waiting
patches), the sooner we'll get 2.14 out, and the sooner we'll start
GLISS.

>> In the short term, why not take care of things with your french students
>> by having this include file be part of the LilyPond distribution, and
>> creating a special lilypond command, e.g. LilyPond, that expands to
>>
>> lilypond -dinclude-settings="lang-init.ly" %@
>>
>> so that they will have the \langFoo shortcut you want to have available?
>
> I think you can see why this is hardly a solution. I might as well
> fork LilyPond and distribute my version instead. (Which every day that
> passes gives me more reasons to, but that's another story.)

What's wrong with that idea?  Setting up a shell script called
"lilypond" will be way, way easier than distributing binaries with
GUB, cooking up your own patches for spacing bugs, or all the other
things that would be involved in forking lilypond.