Re: fine-tuning new flags - feedback needed

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: fine-tuning new flags - feedback needed
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 20:01:02 +0100

Hi,

this is (hopefully) the final version of the new flags; it's a mix of
previous two propositions and some new modifications. I must admit
that i'm proud of it :)
Some differencies between this version and the "compromise" version
(from my previous mail):
- 32nd stems are a bit shorter (but not as short as i suggested
before), 128th stems are a bit shorter too. This makes the stem length
transition smoother (see the coloured lines in the attachments),
- the downstem flags are modified in such a way that the gap between
notehead and flag is smaller; this makes 64th and especially 128th
notes more balanced (at least in my opinion), see the dots in the
attachment,
- the downstem 8th flag is a bit shorter. This is to make sure that
there will be a visible gap between notehead and the end of the flag.
See attachment,
- the shortened upstem 8th flags are shorter (now the dots don't
collide with them!).

Here are the .ly files used for testing: http://www.sendspace.com/file/gjh6ng
Here are the pdfs: http://www.sendspace.com/file/j9dq5t
Here are pdfs made with current dev release (2.13.47) for comparison:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/ogl8rk
Here is the patch file (i hope i got this right...):
http://www.sendspace.com/file/2dx8wa

Please tell me what you think.
Graham, Han-Wen, Reinhold, Keith - may i ask for your opinion too?
After all, this changes will affect virtually all scores (all notes on
middle line of the staff will have longer stems, not mentioning other
changes). Also it's my first contribution, and i've spent many hours
fine-tuning the new flags, so i'd like to know how this turned out.
(as for the c++ code - i'm totally aware that it needs improvement.
metafont is much easier ;P).

cheers,
Janek