Re: fine-tuning new flags - feedback needed

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: fine-tuning new flags - feedback needed
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2011 15:54:17 -0700

On 2/6/11 7:10 AM, "Janek Warchoł" <address@hidden> wrote:

> 2011/2/6 Janek Warchoł <address@hidden>:
>
> Now i see that there is a warning about vim, only it's somewhere else
> (CG 3.3.4 "commit messages"), not in "uploading patch for review".
> Sorry for whining.

No problem.  You've identified another place where we should have something
in the docs.  Were it not for the fact that I use vim regularly, I would
have had no clue the first time I did git-cl upload.

>>> You're most of the way there, and you're a strong contributor.  But if you'd
>>> prefer, I'll be happy to post the patch for you.
>>
>> I've succeded thanks to your help :)
>> Here is the link: http://codereview.appspot.com/4134041
>
> Oops, looks like i forgot to announce the patch...
> I'm doing it now.

Great!  I got the announcement.

> Looks i've managed to fix this.
> Now i have to deal with updating my commit...
> When i run lily-git.tcl and Update Source, it says "Command returned
> an error: child process exited abnormally. Check output text for
> details" and the text in lily-git window says
>
> Updating LilyPond...
> |git --git-dir=/home/janek/lilypond-git/.git fetch origin 2>@1
> |git --git-dir=/home/janek/lilypond-git/.git rebase origin/master 2>@1
> cannot rebase: you have unstaged changes
> M       lily/stem.cc
> M       scm/define-grobs.scm
> Done.
>
> Strange...
> I've tried doing this woithout lily-git (in command-line), but calling
>   git pull -r
> returned
>   lily/stem.cc: needs update
>   scm/define-grobs.scm: needs update
>   refusing to pull with rebase: your working tree is not up-to-date
> What shall i do now? I can copy modified files, delete whole
> lilypond-git directory, download source again and make changes again,
> but is there some better way?
> Why is it not working? Is it because i didn't do it before making
> changes in source files?

Yes.  That's exactly the problem.  You solve it just by making a commit,
then do the Update Source.

Because stem.cc and define-grobs.cc have uncommitted changes, if you
overwrite them you will lose the changes.  So it won't update unless you
commit first (or you can deliberately thrown them away with the Abort
Changes -- Reset to Origin button).

HTH,

Carl