Re: fine-tuning new flags - feedback needed

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: fine-tuning new flags - feedback needed
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2011 22:00:00 +0000

On Sun, Feb 06, 2011 at 05:05:37PM -0700, Carl Sorensen wrote:

> On 2/6/11 4:44 PM, "Janek Warchoł" <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> >   git status (everything looks fine, 3 files i've changed are listed)
> >   git diff HEAD (i see something resembling patch file)
> >   git commit -a (it asked me for message - i'm not sure if it's needed
> > since it will be an update of existing commit, but i wrote something
> > there and answered yes to questions that shown up...)
>
> There's no such thing as "an update of an existing commit".  Every time you
> do git commit, it's a new commit, even though it's an existing patch set.
>
> If you want to make it part of the previous commit, you can do so with
> git commit -a --amend

Um.  I agree that on a technical note, clicking "amend previous
commit" is *not* an "update" of the previous commit.  Technically,
it (probably) removes the first commit, then creates a new commit
with the same old material plus some new material.

But from a user's perspective, I definitely _would_ call that "an

I've added a @warning to the paragraph that explains doing this.