Re: GOP-PROP 5: build system output (final)

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: GOP-PROP 5: build system output (final)
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2011 09:45:15 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "Graham Percival" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Friday, August 05, 2011 4:32 AM
Subject: GOP-PROP 5: build system output (final)

     The user may optionally request additional output to be
printed; this is controlled with the VERBOSE=x flag. In such
cases, all output will still be written to log files; the console
output is strictly additional to the log files.

The standard way for GNU packages to give more output is with a
V=x option. Presumably this is done by increasing x? If we support
this option, we should still write log files; we would simply
print more of the info in those log files to screen.

My only comment is that it's generally the case that output is directed to logfiles using the redirect operator > . If we do this, it's hard to make it also appear on the console (unless someone knows an easy way). I'd not noticed the "print info in those log files to screen" bit. My thoughts would be that the general rule is - if you ask for verbose, then you get more "Processing xxx.ly file" messages. You'd then check xxx.log for problems.

--
Phil Holmes