Re: GOP-PROP 5: build system output (final)

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: GOP-PROP 5: build system output (final)
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2011 15:31:22 -0700

On Fri, Aug 05, 2011 at 05:18:36PM +0200, Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:
> Am Freitag, 5. August 2011, 10:45:15 schrieb Phil Holmes:
> > My only comment is that it's generally the case that output is directed to
> > logfiles using the redirect operator > .  If we do this, it's hard to make
> > it also appear on the console (unless someone knows an easy way).
>
> We can use the 'tee' command for this (it writes the output to a file plus
> copies it to stdout).

Yes.  This is a minor issue; we could workaround it in other ways
(by adding a sh or python wrapper around every command, for
example).

> > I'd not
> > noticed the "print info in those log files to screen" bit.  My thoughts
> > would be that the general rule is - if you ask for verbose, then you get
> > more "Processing xxx.ly file" messages.  You'd then check xxx.log for
> > problems.
>
> So, with verbose, you would not get the desired output on the console, but
> need to locate the .log file, open it in a text editor and then search
> through
> that file?

No.

> --verbose usually means to print more on the console, while log files will
> always contain all information.

Yes.

The log files will always have all the information available.
That is the very first point in this policy.

The VERBOSE=x environment variable will add more console output.
Precisely how many levels of "x" we use, or what is printed for
each level, is not specified by the policy.