Re: GOP-PROP 5: build system output (final)

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: GOP-PROP 5: build system output (final)
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2011 22:07:05 +0000 (UTC)

Reinhold Kainhofer <reinhold <at> kainhofer.com> writes:

> We shouldn't need to type anything to see the warnings/errors of a compile
> run.

I agree, and want `make bin` to show me warnings.  I might have been taking
the proposal too literally.

>     * There will be no additional “progress messages” during the
>       build process. If you run make --silent, a non-failing build
>       should print absolutely nothing to the screen.

What you and Phil are doing to quiet lilypond, and especially lilypond-book,
will help a quite lot.

The standard tools, gcc and bison and flex, are quiet enough already.
I hope we can allow a successful compilation to print warnings,
without silencing them as "progress messages".