Re: GOP-PROP 5: build system output (final)

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: GOP-PROP 5: build system output (final)
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2011 22:09:13 +0200

Am Freitag, 5. August 2011, 21:22:49 schrieb Keith OHara:
> Building the program (as opposed to documentation) is now *very* nice, with
>
>  make -s bin
>
> where -s is short for --silent to tell make not to print the commands she
> runs. We see errors or warnings from the changed files and nothing else.

Ah, right, that's nice, but I'm missing the progress ;-)
Probably I'm just spoilt by the cmake output of a KDE build, which looks like:

address@hidden:~/Software/kaffeine/build$ make
Generating moc_dvbchannel.cpp
Generating moc_dvbchanneldialog.cpp
[  0%] Built target kaffeine_automoc

[  2%] Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/kaffeine.dir/kaffeine_automoc.o

[  5%] Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/kaffeine.dir/dvb/dvbcam_linux.o

[  8%] Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/kaffeine.dir/dvb/dvbchannel.o

All errors and warnings will of course appear, but not the exact long (~7-8
lines per call) compiler invocations.
All progress messages as shown above are printed in color, all error message
in white, so you easily see all warnings/error.

That way, you see where the build is and also all warnings and errors, which
you should fix. The build output looks nicest when there are no
warnings/errors, so this is another incentive to fix all those issues.

> The entire source tree generates only seven warnings, all but one of which
> point to code we could write more clearly.

Ah, great. Will you try to fix them?

> Under this proposal, we should choose an easy-to-type VERBOSE=x option that
> allows use to see the stderr stream from gcc and yacc and lex.

We shouldn't need to type anything to see the warnings/errors of a compile
run.

Cheers,
Reinhold
 * http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/, DVR: 0005886