Re: GOP-PROP 5: build system output (final)

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: GOP-PROP 5: build system output (final)
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2011 17:18:36 +0200

Am Freitag, 5. August 2011, 10:45:15 schrieb Phil Holmes:
> [...]

We can use the 'tee' command for this (it writes the output to a file plus
copies it to stdout).

One problem is that you cannot distinguish our excessive debug output (a
simple snippet like "@lilypond[verbatim,quote]{ c'4 }" currently produces 222
lines of debug output!) from the error messages, once lilypond printed it.

I have a solution in mind, which uses the loglevels, which I'm currently
polishing. My idea (I'll write a long mail about the loglevels and some future
desired issues in the next few hours) is to add an option to lilypond to print
the different messages (errors, warnings, progress, debug, etc.) to different
file descriptions, so that you can then selectively redirect them (and pipe
them through tee), so that you can e.g. mirror all errors and warnings on the
console, write all errors, warnings and progress to a *.log file and at the
same time write everything to a *.debug.log file.

The keyword is "I/O redirection" for the shell commands, for some technical
documentation see e.g. the Advanced Bash Scripting Guide:
http://www.faqs.org/docs/abs/HTML/io-redirection.html
http://www.faqs.org/docs/abs/HTML/redirapps.html
http://www.gnu.org/software/bash/manual/bashref.html#Redirections

> I'd not
> noticed the "print info in those log files to screen" bit.  My thoughts
> would be that the general rule is - if you ask for verbose, then you get
> more "Processing xxx.ly file" messages.  You'd then check xxx.log for
> problems.

So, with verbose, you would not get the desired output on the console, but
need to locate the .log file, open it in a text editor and then search through
that file?
--verbose usually means to print more on the console, while log files will
always contain all information.

Cheers,
Reinhold

 * http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/, DVR: 0005886