Re: GOP-PROP 11: git repositories

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: GOP-PROP 11: git repositories
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2011 20:17:44 +0200

Am Dienstag, 6. September 2011, 19:20:05 schrieb Graham Percival:
> On Tue, Sep 06, 2011 at 06:14:57PM +0100, Phil Holmes wrote:
> > > The only kind of person who's interested in those other
> > > repositories will have their own favorite directory layout
> > > anyway (like me; all my source repositories go under
> > > $HOME/src/) so they'd ignore any recommendation anyway.
> >
> > Wouldn't it be better to standardise them so that the doc and website
> > builds can copy them using standard scripts?
>
> hmm, good point.
>
> What about just using environment variables, $LILYPOND_GIT and
> $LILYPOND_MEDIA_GIT, then telling the user to set up these
> variables by themselves?  (potentially after googling for help)
> That feels like a more "unix-y" solution to me.  :)

Wait a second, why would we need those at all? If the codebases are completely
separate, one shouldn't depend on the other. And the build already knows the
source dir, so we don't need any pointer in an env variable.

Or am I misunderstanding something here? What exactly depends on the source
being in ~/lilypond-git?

Cheers,
Reinhold

 * http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/, DVR: 0005886