GOP-PROP 10: scheme indentation

From: Graham Percival
Subject: GOP-PROP 10: scheme indentation
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2011 11:14:39 +0100

I know that Neil had some concerns; it would be nice if those
could be resolved in the next few days so that we can keep this
moving forward.

I'm hoping to auto-indent all ‘.scm’ files in the git tree on
  2011 Sep 16.
There's no particular rush for this, so I'm perfectly content to
delay that if somebody wants.

http://lilypond.org/~graham/gop/gop_10.html

Proposal summary

Speaking academically, scheme code style is a “solved problem”.
Let’s pick one of the existing solutions, and let a computer deal
with this. Humans should not waste their time, energy, and
creativity manually adding tabs or spaces to source code.

The script will be scripts/auxiliar/fix-scheme.sh

Rationale

New contributors sometimes struggle to follow our indentation and
code style – this is especially difficult when parts of our
existing source code doesn’t have a consistent style. This is
problematic... we want new contributors to be struggling with the
lilypond architecture, not playing games in their text editors!

Proposal details

Use:

http://codereview.appspot.com/4896043/

I will auto-indent all ‘.scm’ files in the git tree on 2011 Sep
16.

Implementation notes

The C++ change went quite well, and we have far fewer outstanding
patches for scheme code. No problems anticipated.

We will not manually specify what the scheme files should look
like as part of this proposal; just run that script on your files.
Interested parties may add an unofficial description of the scheme
indentation to the CG if they are interested.