Re: GOP-PROP 10: scheme indentation

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: GOP-PROP 10: scheme indentation
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 22:42:04 +0100

On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 08:20:39AM +0200, Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:
> David Kastrup writes:
>
> > Personally, I'd prefer it if we focused on solving rather than creating
> > real problems.
>
> +1

Automatic indentation *does* solve real problems.  Take a look at
this:
http://codereview.appspot.com/4490045/
and then compare with the final commit:
258dd9a854b627b533ab709a137b23c539857838

Drafts 3-9 were indentation.  Note that discussion involved me,
Carl, Janek, Janek, and Benko -- that's a lot of lilypond
development experience.  And yet the end result was still 5 weeks
to get a ~50 line patch from a new contributor contributor.

Gee, I wonder why we haven't seen any more patches from that new
contributor?
</sarcasm>

Now admittedly I haven't seen anything like that for scheme
indentation, but I never want to.  If a simple script can lower
the chances of driving away new contributors, let's go for it.

(for the request about comments -- if I thought that we could
write a 200-line scheme program which would automatically produce
valid and helpful comments for difficult algorithms in lilypond,
you bet I'd be working on that!)

> Also, I'm not going to start the C++ indentation discussion all over
> again.  I did not read this proposal as I figured that it would do the
> only sensible thing: formalise the status quo while allowing people who
> are not using Emacs yet to indent their files the GNU way using a
> script.  We're a GNU project, remember?

The "GNU project" is completely irrelevant.  The GNU style
explicitly states that "We don’t think of these recommendations as
requirements"

> Please find an indenter that does what Emacs does.  Most every .scm
> is indented by Emacs now.

I have no objection to having this script indent in the same way
that emacs does.

This proposal is stalled at the moment; there is a serious illness
in Carl's family, so he is spending most of his time with them (as
is very appropriate).  If somebody else wants to work on the
script, I'm certain that he would not mind.
http://codereview.appspot.com/4896043/