Re: A few remarks concerning \relative

From: Benkő Pál
Subject: Re: A few remarks concerning \relative
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 11:39:26 +0200

>>> \relative x??? { x
>>> Namely start with the starting pitch.
>>
>> my two cents: I always do that.
>
> And my two cents: I never do that.
> My rationale: in an (admittedly quite rare) case i want to paste the
> contents of one relative to another relative, having various starting
> pitches forces me to think how i should modify the octavation of the
> first note when i move it around.  If everything is related to c* (or
> another pitch, as long as it's the same everywhere), the calculation
> is quite simple.

but generally you have to relate to the last note before the paste position,
so you can save thinking only when you paste from the very beginning
of a relative block to the very beginning of another one.

copy&paste is dangerous anyway - I'm generally bitten when the
first pasted note doesn't have an explicit duration.