Re: A few remarks concerning \relative

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: A few remarks concerning \relative
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 01:23:19 +0200

> On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 12:20:47AM +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
>> Graham Percival <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>> > But this is *not* appropriate for the
>> > tutorial.  I will be very unhappy if you put it there.
>>
>> It already went in with the last batch of patches
>
> I am very unhappy.
>
>> > Trust me.  The tutorial should keep words to 3 syllables or less
>> > if at all possible.
>>
>> How about:
>> "Here is a neat trick: if you write @address@hidden f}}, the next
>> note will look just like absolute pitch."
>> Apart from "absolute", only monosyllabic words.
>
> That would make me less unhappy.  Getting rid of the "here is a
> neat trick" would make me slightly less unhappy again -- I would
> then merely be displeased.

I have to admit I utterly fail to comprehend either.  "If you write
@address@hidden f}}, the next note will look just like absolute
pitch.", on its own at that point in the text, is _terrible_ for a
tutorial.  The message is "Here is some meaningless scrap of
information.  Don't expect an explanation.  Don't expect usefulness".
You can improve only slightly by writing: "Note: if you write ...".

"Here is a neat trick:" conveys "this could be useful", "if you think
about it with the information already available to you, you will be able
to figure it out and learn something in the process", and "you are
smart, and we like you to have fun during your journey with Lilypond".

It's tutorial-speak at its best.  I don't understand either your
unhappiness nor your displeasure.