Re: A few remarks concerning \relative

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: A few remarks concerning \relative
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 19:32:54 +0100

On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 01:23:19AM +0200, David Kastrup wrote:

> It's tutorial-speak at its best.  I don't understand either your
> unhappiness nor your displeasure.

The tutorial is not the place for musings or cleverness.  The goal
is to get people started writing music with the minimum amount of
fuss.  We don't even teach people how to write accidentals in the
tutorial!  This is quite deliberate -- the tutorial is only for
the absolute minimum to get started.

This tip should go in @ref{Suggestions for writing files}, and of
course in the Notation reference.  If you really think it should
be earlier, we could discuss a rewrite of Learning 2.4.3 Absolute
note names, to be more general ("alterate note entry"?  "relative
and absolute modes revisised"?) and adding this tip.  But I would
like to discuss that patch on Rietveld before it's pushed.