Re: A few remarks concerning \relative

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: A few remarks concerning \relative
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 00:20:47 +0200

> On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 04:18:38PM +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
>> Graham Percival <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>> > I'm reluctant to add the suggestion of \relative f' {  to the
>> > tutorial since all the examples are variants of c.
>>
>> Personally, I don't think \relative f' is all that interesting.  The
>> really idiomatic phrase is \relative f without octave indicators.
>
> oh, ok.
>
>>  quotes @code{''} and not one double quote @code{"address@hidden
>>  @c " - keeps quotes in order for context-sensitive editor -td
>>
>> +If you carefully consider all the rules above and remember that the
>> +octave of absolute pitches also is specified disregarding any
>> +accidentals, one rather interesting consequence is that the first note
>> +in @address@hidden f}} music is interpreted just the same as in
>> +absolute pitch mode.
>> +
>>  @subheading Durations (rhythms)
>
> Sounds great for notation/pitches.itely.  Feel free to push it to
> pitches.itely directly.  But this is *not* appropriate for the
> tutorial.  I will be very unhappy if you put it there.

It already went in with the last batch of patches (I was stopping to get
anywhere because changes happened faster than I could rebase and
regtest).  Feel free to revert.

However, this particular text was intended to be written in
tutorial-speak and not tailored for the notation manual.  Notation-speak
would be something like "Since octaves of absolute pitches are also
established ignoring accidentals, @address@hidden f}} is
indistinguishable from having the first note specified as absolute
pitch."

> When users are still coming to grips with two single quotes '' vs
> a double quote ", they're not going to be carefully considering
> the specifications of disregarding interesting consequences
> carefully.
>
>> and I don't see the point in hiding this information from beginners out
>> of fear that they might like it.
>
> Trust me.  The tutorial should keep words to 3 syllables or less
> if at all possible.

How about:
"Here is a neat trick: if you write @address@hidden f}}, the next
note will look just like absolute pitch."
Apart from "absolute", only monosyllabic words.

Deal?