Re: lilypond.org can't build website

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: lilypond.org can't build website
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2011 17:39:35 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "Graham Percival" <address@hidden>
To: "Phil Holmes" <address@hidden>
Cc: <address@hidden>
Sent: Saturday, September 17, 2011 5:15 PM

On Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 01:27:24PM +0100, Phil Holmes wrote:

Patch attached which runs on a standalone website build on my
system.  I believe this should fix your website build problem.

That patch hard-codes the lilypond-git directory unnecessarily; we
have already defined TOP_SRC_DIR, so why not use
$TOP_SRC_DIR/python ?

Good point. I've slightly lost track of who's doing what on this now, though, so I'll not change my local website.make.

A further comment on the "copy the langdefs" script to safe-scripts.
If we do that, we'll need to amend website.make again...

oops, I forgot about that.  So actually we don't want to point to
TOP_SRC_DIR/python/ at all, since that's untrusted material.

I think this is your point 1. below.

I can't shake the feeling that we've taken a wrong turn somewhere.
The original motivation behind "avoid hard-coding/duplicating the
list of languages" was to simplify the build process, right?  But
all this "run a python script with an argument to get a list of
languages" stuff seems to be un-simple.  I'm wondering if a
radically different approach would be good.

What about a plain old text file?  If we had a languages.txt (just
like VERSION), we could cat that file in website.make with no
security concerns.  And langdefs.py could read that file with no
problems.  Or... do we need an actual hard-coded list of languages
at all?  What if we just make a list from all two-character
sub-directories of Documentation/ ?  actually, maybe that's a
silly idea; updating a single list of languages in one place isn't
hard, and that could avoid some potential problems if somebody
wanted to make a non-language two-character subdirectory of
Documentation/

I must admit to finding langdefs.py rather over-kill for what we actually use it for. It seems to me the functional definition is quite simple - return a list of language abbreviations to either a make file or a python file which needs it. However, we do need to ensure that 2 lists are available: web and doc.

Note Reinhold's mail about the errors from langdefs. Making this simpler would stop those, too.

... ok, I'm rambling (I have a mild fever), and this isn't helping
to solve the immediate problem.

I'm struggling with a visual migraine, so a bit ditto.

1. amend the CG page to include langdefs.py in the "trusted
scripts" stuff.  I'll copy that over.
2. set PYTHONPATH to be $TRUSTED_SCRIPTS_DIR (or whatever it's
called) in website.make.

See above - you gonna do this?

--
Phil Holmes