Re: Problem with make

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Problem with make
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2011 10:21:18 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "Reinhold Kainhofer" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Cc: "David Kastrup" <address@hidden>
Sent: Thursday, September 22, 2011 2:07 AM

Am Thursday, 22. September 2011, 01:55:15 schrieb David Kastrup:
> yep, happens about 10% of the time for me.  Running "make" again
> fixes it.  (almost always -- the chance of two failing runs is
> about 1%.  That's happened twice to me that I can recall)
> - - -
>
> happens to me nearly every time i make. You get news.tely and
> authors.texi. Failing. Run make again and it's fine. Never had two on
> the trot like graham.
[..]
That points to either a problem with parallel make processes, or more
likely a time stamp resolution problem.

I only get such a problem if I call "make -j3" (or something other >1). I have never experienced it with "make", so my guess would be that the dependencies
of our texinfo files are not complete.

Cheers,
Reinhold

I was getting it when I went from make -j9 to make -j5, but didn't want to be bothered with running a single core. I'm assuming you're correct, though.

--
Phil Holmes