Re: Problem with make

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Problem with make
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2011 18:55:42 +0200

> On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 11:44:29AM +0200, Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:
>>
>> Exactly. Make copies the *.texi file from the source to the build dir, runs
>> extract-texi-filenames.py and then removes it again...
>
> Ouch.  Is there any compelling reason to
> 1) not run extract-texi-filename.py on the original file,
> or
> 2) not remove the file?  I mean, it's not like a small text file
> is going to change our 1.5 Gb build directory much.

"not remove the file" does not help if the file is not properly in the
dependency lists since then changes in one process are not synchronized
with usage in another process.

Temporary files can't properly be targets in a makefile.  So they must
not collide with the generation of other files and must be used
exclusively in one rule, possibly by creating unique file names for
them.