Re: Update lilygit.tcl (Issue 2092) (issue 5504092)

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Update lilygit.tcl (Issue 2092) (issue 5504092)
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2011 18:19:02 +0000

On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 05:21:34PM +0000, address@hidden wrote:
> The Push button is disabled by default; an experienced user can enable
> it with a simple edit to the script.

By "disabled", do you mean "commented out" ?  If new contributors
see a greyed-out button, they'll get confused and ask silly
questions.  The UI should be designed to avoid silly questions[1].

[1] actually, in this case it would be a sensible question rather
than silly -- so IMO it's an even better idea to change the UI if
it gives misleading suggestions.

> I've also added support for an environment variable specifying the
> branch.  This will allow lily-git users to work with more than one patch
> simultaneously by doing
>
> LILYPOND_BRANCH=dev/fix-my-issue lilypond-git.tcl

hmm.  I'll come back to this later.

> and  they will work on that branch.  If  the branch doesn't exist it
> will be created off of staging.

This is definitely not right; please branch off of master.  We
have absolutely no guarantee that staging will compile the binary,
let alone the documentation.