Re: Google Summer of Code - Ideas List, please discuss

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: Google Summer of Code - Ideas List, please discuss
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 15:51:57 +0100

On 12/02/2012 12:03, Janek Warchoł wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> SUMMARY: in order to participate in Google Summer of Code ($$$), we
> need an Ideas List.
>
> (to learn more about GSoC, go here
> http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/homepage/google/gsoc2012)
>
> An Ideas List should be a list of suggested student projects.  This
> list is meant to introduce contributors to the project's needs and to
> provide inspiration to would-be student applicants.
>
> For an example, go here:
> http://community.kde.org/GSoC/2011/Ideas#Project:_KStars:_Improve_the_observation_planner_and_logging_feature
>
> Below are my suggestions for our Ideas List.  Please comment on them
> and give your suggested projects.
>

> General student prerequisites: (basic?) git knowledge
>
> 1) Fixing problems with synchronization of grace notes, together with
> all underlying architecture (issue 34). Requirements: C++, MIDI;
> familiarity with basic music notation recommended

I think for this problem, a basic understanding of the lilypond code is
really necessary. It goes straight into the timing code. Also, it's hard
to judge the real effort required to solve it, so I don't think this is
a very good candidate for a project.

> 2) Adding comprehensive MusicXML import and export features, together
> with test suites for it.  Requirements: ? (no idea in which language
> this would be written), MusicXML, basic LilyPond and music notation
> knowledge; familiarity with other scorewriters would be a nice bonus
> (for cross-testing).  The goal would be considered achieved when a
> (previously chosen) not-so-complicated score could be imported from
> MusicXML and exported back with no (unintentional) loss of data.

That is definitely a good project. It is self-contained, and there is
not a success-or-fail outcome, but the possible outcomes vary from
"basic support" to "full support" in a continuous range.

> 5) Build System Improvement: if we want to ever move away from make,
> this would be a good opportunity.  Issues like thousands of errors and
> warnings during compilation should be removed, all dependancies fixed
> (so that one doesn't need to remove fonts folder to have fonts
> rebuilt).  Requirements: Python, Make and (optionally) another build
> system.

Janitor work sounds very boring to me for a summer job...

Cheers,
Reinhold

 * http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/, DVR: 0005886