Re: LoMuS

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: LoMuS
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 10:45:04 +0200

"address@hidden" <address@hidden> writes:

> Hey all,
>
> I've received a couple e-mails from colleagues and one nudge from
> Valentin about:
>
> http://concours.afim-asso.org/
>
> I've been reticent about applying because the development community is
> rather diffuse and there isn't any good way to accept the prize money
> if we win.  However, after having received now two e-mails from people
> who I respect a lot in the French computer music community, I think
> it'd be a good idea and that we should let institutional barriers stop
> us from applying.
>
> I'm OK with writing up the application (due the 29th) but before I do,
> people would need to agree on where the prize money would go if we
> won.  My two thoughts are:
>
> 1) Use it internally on projects (i.e. we'd all agree that person X
> would get paid Z euros to do thing Y) in which case there'd have to be
> a money shepherd.  I'd rather not do this, but I can if no one else
> wants to.
> 2) Donate it to GNU.

We already donate LilyPond to GNU, so I'd lean towards 1).  There are
several unsexy infrastructure projects (meaning that if, say, I chose to
tackle them, I would slow down to a crawl) which might get sexed up in
that manner.  And there are several projects requiring a coordinated
amount of heavy lifting which might get tackled with that kind of
encouragement.  One thing is the skylines stuff, another would be
Guilev2 migration.  Paying the prize out once a month without regression
from that area passes will certainly be a strong incentive, and probably
will collect more interest than one would have imagined.