Re: LoMuS

From: Łukasz Czerwiński
Subject: Re: LoMuS
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 15:41:37 +0200

On 27 April 2012 08:07, Graham Percival <address@hidden> wrote:

*sigh*
I'll rehash an old email.

I know that some of us would like to get paid for lilypond work.
But I'm leery of jumping into this topic for a few reasons:

1) lilypond survives because of volunteer work.  I think we should
be *extremely* cautious about anything which may jeopardize the
amount of time people volunteer.

2) if we officially organize these arrangements, there may be
currency exchange, tax issues, or legal issues that arise,
particularly given the international nature.  Who gets the money?
How would it be distributed, if at all?  How much loss to third
parties is acceptable?

3) it's not going to be enough.  Companies and government grants
are where the real money for supporting programmers comes from;
hiring just one person from individual donations would require far
more users than we have.

I think that each such contest should be considered separately - it depends on the number of such activities and possible income. I believe that Lilypond need some money and contests and grants are quite a good idea of getting them, don't you think? When "earning for Lilypond" results in slowdown in developing Lilypond, we should stop, but now - there was no contest, so no slowdown, therefore, no problem :)

Łukasz