Re: LoMuS

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: LoMuS
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 10:53:05 +0200

> 3) it's not going to be enough.  Companies and government grants
> are where the real money for supporting programmers comes from;
> hiring just one person from individual donations would require far
> more users than we have.

Not enough is better than nothing if we are not talking about
_financing_ developments but rather rewarding them.  And in that case
this is not a question of sustainability, but more or less a question of
agreeing on things that people will be glad enough to get done by
somebody else to not hold a grudge.

In other news, I have to admit being impressed so far by what our users
are willing to give to sustain development at least from a single
person.  Yes, it would require far more users to seem like a fair deal
for everyone: a few selected contributors pitch in a whole lot more than
others.  But then, of course, this is not so much different from the
distribution of non-monetary contributions.