Re: Doc: mention empty chords; avoid using zero-duration spacers in exam

From: dak
Subject: Re: Doc: mention empty chords; avoid using zero-duration spacers in examples (issue 6197068)
Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 09:33:27 +0000

http://codereview.appspot.com/6197068/diff/1/Documentation/notation/simultaneous.itely
File Documentation/notation/simultaneous.itely (right):

http://codereview.appspot.com/6197068/diff/1/Documentation/notation/simultaneous.itely#newcode89
Documentation/notation/simultaneous.itely:89: r4 e8( g <>) ^"sul D" \f
\> \repeat unfold 8 { c-. } r2\!
On 2012/05/10 08:50:38, Trevor Daniels wrote:
Interestingly, s1*0 does not work in this situation to attach the
annotations to
the first note in the repeated section, but <> is fine.
Unfortunately, <> is of
no help for attaching the \! to the final note of the repeated
section.

That example gives me a headache.  s1*0 will work just fine: you just
have to put an explicit duration on { c8-. }.  If the decrescendo should
be on the last note, you would either cut the repeat short by one, or
write
{ r4 e8( g << { s8*7) ^"sul D" \f \> s8\! }
                             \repeat unfold 8 { c8-. } >> r2\! }

But I think the whole thing is too clever for the notation manual.  The
rather contrived ways of avoiding to spell out first/last iterations
complicate things rather than simplify them.

http://codereview.appspot.com/6197068/