Re: Doc: mention empty chords; avoid using zero-duration spacers in exam

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: Doc: mention empty chords; avoid using zero-duration spacers in examples (issue 6197068)
Date: Fri, 11 May 2012 10:05:24 -0700

On Fri, 11 May 2012 00:55:48 -0700, <address@hidden> wrote:

The decresc can be terminated with a note or rest of any duration,but <>\! can
only be used if it happens to fall on a bar line.

..or if the you finish the bar in some other way
   { c2 <>\! r2 } { c2 <>\! s2 }
The <> specifies when to end the hairpin, but LilyPond also wants a reference
graphical object to know where to end its printing.

I was hoping to keep the text above the example short.  It generalizes : Some
notations are placed relative to a note head (or rest or bar-line). These may
be attached to an empty chord, so long as some other input provides the note
head (or rest or bar-line).

I expected complaints about vocal.itely.  It now avoids the tricky
zero-length-spacer-rest in favor of a much longer input.  My evidence for the
longer input being less cryptic is
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2011-10/msg00118.html   The
documentation for the longer construction is in staff.itely