Re: Doc: mention empty chords; avoid using zero-duration spacers in exam

From: dak
Subject: Re: Doc: mention empty chords; avoid using zero-duration spacers in examples (issue 6197068)
Date: Sun, 13 May 2012 19:06:42 +0000

http://codereview.appspot.com/6197068/diff/1/Documentation/notation/changing-defaults.itely
File Documentation/notation/changing-defaults.itely (right):

http://codereview.appspot.com/6197068/diff/1/Documentation/notation/changing-defaults.itely#newcode749
Documentation/notation/changing-defaults.itely:749: s1^"Small, thicker
stems, no time signature"
I don't like this.  It requires \melody to be at least as long as a
whole note in order to work.  But the length of \melody is established
elsewhere, and is not, so to say, a local contract.  The example only
works as a whole, but is no longer copy-and-paste material.

http://codereview.appspot.com/6197068/diff/1/Documentation/notation/keyboards.itely
File Documentation/notation/keyboards.itely (right):

http://codereview.appspot.com/6197068/diff/1/Documentation/notation/keyboards.itely#newcode210
Documentation/notation/keyboards.itely:210: e''2\p\< d''\> | c''1\!
I am not particularly happy about "defusing" the demonstrated problem
with additional material.

http://codereview.appspot.com/6197068/diff/1/Documentation/notation/pitches.itely
File Documentation/notation/pitches.itely (right):

http://codereview.appspot.com/6197068/diff/1/Documentation/notation/pitches.itely#newcode1401
Documentation/notation/pitches.itely:1401: s1^\markup { Switch to B\flat
clarinet }
The markup can't just be attached to the whole bar rest?

http://codereview.appspot.com/6197068/diff/1/Documentation/notation/simultaneous.itely
File Documentation/notation/simultaneous.itely (right):

http://codereview.appspot.com/6197068/diff/1/Documentation/notation/simultaneous.itely#newcode81
Documentation/notation/simultaneous.itely:81: An empty chord, @code{<>},
produces no notes and has no duration, but
I think I'll make a more extensive change proposal here instead of an
added section.

http://codereview.appspot.com/6197068/diff/1/Documentation/notation/staff.itely
File Documentation/notation/staff.itely (right):

http://codereview.appspot.com/6197068/diff/1/Documentation/notation/staff.itely#newcode1361
Documentation/notation/staff.itely:1361: \new CueVoice { \set
"instrumentCueName" = "flute" }
It looks fishy to me to start a one-shot \cueVoice just for the
instrument name.  Perhaps we should instead let \cueDuring accept an
optional context modification argument.

http://codereview.appspot.com/6197068/diff/1/input/regression/empty-chord.ly
File input/regression/empty-chord.ly (right):

http://codereview.appspot.com/6197068/diff/1/input/regression/empty-chord.ly#newcode4
input/regression/empty-chord.ly:4: and leave the current duation
unchanged."
duation -> duration

http://codereview.appspot.com/6197068/