Re: Minor release checklist

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: Minor release checklist
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 17:28:26 +0200

Il giorno lun, 10/09/2012 alle 16.12 +0100, Phil Holmes ha scritto:
> Thanks, John.  I'm following the CG to the letter, and type:
>
> git checkout origin/release/unstable
>
> This puts me into detached head state - presumably because I don't have a
> local branch called release/unstable.

If you want to update origin/release/unstable, it's saner to create a
local branch that tracks origin/release/unstable, which

git checkout release/unstable

will do for you if you have a recent enough git (if you don't and don't
have a release/unstable branch already, you'll probably get an error
anyway).  In any case, if you already have a local branch
release/unstable, check it out, set it to track origin/release/unstable
(IIRC there's some subcommand of "git remote" for doing this), then
pull.

> Following that with
>
> git merge origin
>
> and I get "fatal: 'origin' is not a commit".

I guess this works with some older Git version, but no longer does, or
you need to have the remote "origin" have a HEAD, you may find details
about this in "man gitrevisions"... frankly I have no good clue, I'd
just do

git merge origin/master

instead.

>   I presume the intention of the
> merge is to get release/unstable to the same point as master?

Yes.

>   Strikes me we
> should not _require_ a release/unstable branch on the machine where the
> updates are being done.

What's the problem with creating a new local branch to track a remote
one?  Creating branches is cheap, isn't it?

>   Could someone tell me the syntax to merge master
> into a branch in detached head state?

Why do you want to complicate things with a detached head?

> (I'll update the CG once I've run it through parrot-fashion).

Great!

Best