Re: Minor release checklist

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Minor release checklist
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 13:46:49 -0700

On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 04:12:54PM +0100, Phil Holmes wrote:
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "John Mandereau"
> <address@hidden>
> To: "Phil Holmes" <address@hidden>
> >Il giorno lun, 10/09/2012 alle 15.08 +0100, Phil Holmes ha scritto:
> >>On
> >>http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.17/Documentation/contributor/minor-release-checklist
> >>I'm 99.9% sure I'm correct here, but just to be _really_ sure.
> >>This doesn't
> >>have to be on the GUB machine, right?

Correct.

> Thanks, John.  I'm following the CG to the letter, and type:
>
> git checkout origin/release/unstable
>
> This puts me into detached head state - presumably because I don't
> have a local branch called release/unstable.

Yes, that's good.  This helps to avoid forgetting to update a
local release/unstable branch.

> Following that with
>
> git merge origin
>
> and I get "fatal: 'origin' is not a commit".  I presume the
> intention of the merge is to get release/unstable to the same point
> as master?

Yes.  Did you get your repository with
  git clone
?  if so, you should have an "origin".

My .git/config contains:
[remote "origin"]
        fetch = +refs/heads/*:refs/remotes/origin/*
        url = ssh://address@hidden/srv/git/lilypond.git
[branch "master"]
        remote = origin
        merge = refs/heads/master
        rebase = true

which AFAIK is set up automatically for me (other than the url
line, which I had to change manually for push access)